Let me just tell you, I’ve been having the time of my life testing this thing. 🤣 Mostly, Blake and I are pretty dialed in on a Whole30 *slash* paleo style of eating. But in honor of having a contraption in my arm 24/7 pulling glucose reading: this weekend we went off the rails testing all the things that we know don't work if you’re looking to get great sleep. Eating out ❌, processed foods ❌, and late-night meals ❌ (I didn’t even touch alcohol, but maybe for another newsletter!).
Wanna know what a Korean BBQ glucose spike looks like?
How about that cool Catalina Crunch “Keto” Cereal that is all over Instagram? (107 is still in our 70-110 goal range, so not horrible, but obviously, use sparingly).
Blood sugar crash of 66 during my sleep following late-night popcorn at 7:30 pm (which, considering I’m typically done eating at around 3 pm, 7:30 pm definitely qualifies as late-night over here!). *I did take a short walk after the popcorn to help blunt the spike, which I gotta say I was delighted to know that there was not much of a spike from one of my lifelong favorite treats.
And wouldn’t you know it, here’s a screenshot from last night’s wakeup at 1 am that Oura logged. Perfectly coincided with that glucose crash and resulting cortisol & adrenaline surge.
Since I’m so fascinated with this, I’m very grateful that the folks at LevelsHealth are offering the Sleep Is A Skill community a pretty cool opportunity if you meet the following criteria:
- You have an Oura Ring
- You live in the USA
- You can commit to tracking your blood sugar for 1 month with a CGM (continuous glucose monitor)
- You’re game to share your sleep & blood sugar data (this way I can examine your blood sugar & sleep data on the LevelsHealth dashboard and the Oura Ring dashboard)
- You are willing to write a quick review of what you learned when tracking with these two pieces of technology
If you meet all of these, they are hooking up our Sleepy Community ;) with the ability to skip the 20,000+ person waitlist and 3-4 month delay and get a month’s worth of CGM at-cost and receive it in 2 weeks with this link- at $191 down from $399. If interested, sign up here and reply to this email and we’ll get you set up on the Oura Ring Sleep Is A Skill dashboard.
SLEEP SCHOLARS (Source: YOU all! Reminder: Continue to send what you’re learning/discovering re: sleep and I’ll include it here)
Resource: Book, Why We Get Sick: The Hidden Epidemic at the Root of Most Chronic Disease―and How to Fight It This is self-proclaimed required reading for LevelsHealth employees re: glucose & insulin.
Resource: Product, Sweetkick, Kick Sugar Craving [Sleep Better] I still can’t believe that this exists.
Resource: Article, LevelsHealth, How does the menstrual cycle affect glucose levels? - Levels A must-read for women who are still menstruating.
Resource: Article, Sportscasting, LeBron James' Incredibly Detailed Sleep Habits May Be The Key to His NBA Longevity These are truly next-level sleep habits.
Resource: Article, Washington Post, Daylight saving time should end, says American Academy of Sleep Medicine
SLEEP IS A SKILL PODCAST
️Resource: Podcast Episode, 017: Nir Eyal, Bestselling Author of Indistractable & Hooked, Teaches us how to manage our days to prioritize sleep (7 days a week!) in a highly distractable world. *Spoiler: It is possible!
Prioritizing sleep is a big deal in the 21st century. How do we become Indistractable when we are hooked on so many gadgets and gizmos? My guest literally wrote the books on both of these topics! These works have made a difference in my life, and it was such an incredible opportunity to get to interview such a tremendous thought leader in the world of behavioral change.
One of the biggest problems that clients at Sleep Is A Skill face is how to manage their days so that they feel that they can genuinely be OFF and relax in the evenings before sleep. In this episode, we will explore exactly how to become Indistractable so that you can honor your word to yourself to show up to be, as Nir puts it, “available” for sleep when you said you would, consistently. Additionally, when you get into that bed at the time you said, have you managed your day in such a way that you have peace of mind to be fully at ease in the activity that you are doing...sleeping!
Nir Eyal writes, consults, and teaches about the intersection of psychology, technology, and business. Nir previously taught as a Lecturer in Marketing at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and the Hasso Plattner Institute of Design at Stanford. Nir co-founded and sold two tech companies since 2003 and was dubbed by The M.I.T. Technology Review as, "The Prophet of Habit-Forming Technology." He is the author of two bestselling books, Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products and Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life.
In this episode, we discuss a LOT, but here are the sleep-related notes:
- People put identities on themselves all the time by using labels
- These labels are usually unfavorable: 'I have an addictive personality,’ ‘I'm a night owl,’ 'I'm not a morning person,’ 'I have a short attention span,’ etc.
- For example, I'm a night owl or I'm an insomniac are labels that can negatively affect your sleep.
-Identities can either serve you or hurt you. "Whatever we tell ourselves who we are, that’s who we become. You believe that you are what you say you are."
- A study has been done to show this, which consisted of a group of people sleeping in a lab. In the first part of the study, these people were told in the morning that they had a bad night's sleep, even though, in reality, they had an excellent sleep.
- These people then behaved groggily and acted like they were not well-rested (which they wrote on their surveys). The second part was the opposite, the people had a horrible sleep, but they were told that they slept well. Hearing this affected the study group's behavior; this time, they acted more energetic and felt better.
- This study shows how your beliefs about yourself affect your life.
Sleep, Distractions, and Identity
- Identities can sometimes serve us and sometimes hurt us. How can we use it to help us…?
- By reducing self-limiting beliefs. We can use it to become the person we want to become. Stating to yourself ‘who I am’. --- Utilizing this kind of identity for the things and activities we want to do, **which includes sleeping.**
- "Okay, I got the blackout shades, phone in another room, in bed on time, no distraction. But I woke up at 3 am every night and wouldn’t be able to fall back to sleep. “I’m not sleeping, that means tomorrow is gone, and I’m not gonna have a productive day,” Etc. Bad thoughts are triggering more anxiety." How to disarm this anxiety?
- Knowing that your task was to sleep at a specific time and have already completed your task and done your part should give relief. If you can't have a good sleep tonight, you can have a better one tomorrow.
- A mantra to go by is: **The body gets what the body needs**
- You won't usually know how you actually slept unless you get information from an external source, therefore your initial thoughts in the morning will even shape your day either positively or negatively. This shows how putting a label on your day and believing it affects your day and life.
As always, please send me your thoughts on this week’s obsession or your current fascinations.
P.S. Fed up with your sleep? Here are four ways I can help you transform your sleep:
1. Subscribe to The Sleep Is A Skill Podcast
Get guidance from experts on all things sleep! We’ve got you covered from light, darkness, temperature, sound, meals (type & time), exercise, gadgets, etc. BTW- If you’ve been toying with starting your podcast, The Ultimate Podcast Dojo is a brand new course from podcast mentor Harry Duran, who helped me launch my podcast.
2. Take our Free Sleep Assessment
Receive personalized feedback on where your sleep is at and what it will take to turn it around.
3. Check out the Sleep Is A Skill Sleep Resource Recommendations
Inspired to transform your sleep but aren’t clear what sort of resources will help? These will help.
4. Book a 15 minute Call
We have something for everyone, no matter where you’re at with your sleep. Book a quick call to discuss what the next best steps are for you.
P.P.S. Want to know the bare minimum sleep stack that you should have, no matter what, in 2020? Get the Oura Ring (no affiliation), Chilipad (Ooler, ideally), use this link and promo codes for a hookup sleepisaskill15 – 15% off OOLER or sleepisaskill25 – 25% off chiliPAD, and a reliable pair of blue blockers like TrueDarks (must be amber or red for the nights).