They just got the camp recently, so there is absolutely no cell service, wifi, plumbing, or running water yet! Here’s a readout from Antenna Search
of the number of cell towers and antennas in a 3-mile radius around where we will be. For those of you who are concerned about EMF’s, this is a cool site to bookmark. ;)
For context, here are the number of cell towers and antennas in my old apartment in Manhattan within a 1-mile radius:
So what do you pack for a camping-esc trip like this?
Next level sleep lighting gear, of course! Here’s a visual of my latest Amazon haul in prep for our trip, all under 25 bucks total.
Below are more details about how these items and camping, in general, can be helpful for sleep—beyond this, delving deeper into how we can bring some of the sleep-promoting elements of camping into our lives more regularly.
SLEEP CAMPING GEAR
Resource: Product, Everbrite, Red Headlamp Red headlamp does the trick for the late-night trips to the bathroom (or the outhouse in this case!), reading, and winding-down without disrupting the melatonin production.
Resource: Product, Karlling, Red Fairy Light String Wedding Party Xmas Christmas Decorations (Red) Ambient lighting post sunset that will keep our circadian rhtyhms on point.
Resource: Article, TIME, How Camping Helps You Sleep Better “Spending time in nature can work wonders for human health, from lowering blood pressure and stress hormones to sparking feelings of awe. Growing research suggests it may also improve sleep by resetting our internal clocks to a natural sleep cycle. A new study released in the journal Current Biology adds to that evidence by showing the sleep-promoting benefits of the great outdoors.”
Resource: Article, Sleep.org, How to Sleep Better While Camping: Easy Ways to Avoid Outdoor Insomnia
SLEEP IS A SKILL PODCAST *Resharing this one in honor of taking a Digital Detox!
️Resource: Podcast Episode, 017: Nir Eyal, Bestselling Author of Indistractable & Hooked, Teaches us how to manage our days to prioritize sleep (7 days a week!) in a highly distractable world. *Spoiler: It is possible!
Prioritizing sleep is a big deal in the 21st century. How do we become Indistractable when we are hooked on so many gadgets and gizmos? My guest literally wrote the books on both of these topics! These works have made a difference in my life, and it was such an incredible opportunity to get to interview such a tremendous thought leader in the world of behavioral change.
One of the biggest problems that clients at Sleep Is A Skill face is how to manage their days so that they feel that they can genuinely be OFF and relax in the evenings before sleep. In this episode, we will explore exactly how to become Indistractable so that you can honor your word to yourself to show up to be, as Nir puts it, “available” for sleep when you said you would, consistently. Additionally, when you get into that bed at the time you said, have you managed your day in such a way that you have peace of mind to be fully at ease in the activity that you are doing...sleeping!
writes, consults, and teaches about the intersection of psychology, technology, and business. Nir previously taught as a Lecturer in Marketing at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and the Hasso Plattner Institute of Design at Stanford. Nir co-founded and sold two tech companies since 2003 and was dubbed by The M.I.T. Technology Review as, "The Prophet of Habit-Forming Technology."
He is the author of two bestselling books, Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products and Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life.
EPISODE NOTES (we discuss a LOT, but here are the sleep-related notes):
- People put identities on themselves all the time by using labels
- These labels are usually unfavorable: 'I have an addictive personality,’ ‘I'm a night owl,’ 'I'm not a morning person,’ 'I have a short attention span,’ etc.
- For example, I'm a night owl or I'm an insomniac are labels that can negatively affect your sleep.
-Identities can either serve you or hurt you. "Whatever we tell ourselves who we are, that’s who we become. You believe that you are what you say you are."
- A study has been done to show this, which consisted of a group of people sleeping in a lab. In the first part of the study, these people were told in the morning that they had a bad night's sleep, even though, in reality, they had an excellent sleep.
- These people then behaved groggily and acted like they were not well-rested (which they wrote on their surveys). The second part was the opposite, the people had a horrible sleep, but they were told that they slept well. Hearing this affected the study group's behavior; this time, they acted more energetic and felt better.
- This study shows how your beliefs about yourself affect your life.
Sleep, Distractions, and Identity
- Identities can sometimes serve us and sometimes hurt us. How can we use it to help us…?
- By reducing self-limiting beliefs. We can use it to become the person we want to become. Stating to yourself ‘who I am’. --- Utilizing this kind of identity for the things and activities we want to do, **which includes sleeping.**
- "Okay, I got the blackout shades, phone in another room, in bed on time, no distraction. But I woke up at 3 am every night and wouldn’t be able to fall back to sleep. “I’m not sleeping, that means tomorrow is gone, and I’m not gonna have a productive day,” Etc. Bad thoughts are triggering more anxiety." How to disarm this anxiety?
- Knowing that your task was to sleep at a specific time and have already completed your task and done your part should give relief. If you can't have a good sleep tonight, you can have a better one tomorrow.
- A mantra to go by is: **The body gets what the body needs**
- You won't usually know how you actually slept unless you get information from an external source, therefore your initial thoughts in the morning will even shape your day either positively or negatively. This shows how putting a label on your day and believing it affects your day and life.
As always, please send me your thoughts on this week’s obsession or your current fascinations.
P.S. Fed up with your sleep? Here are five ways I can help you transform your sleep:
1. Subscribe to The Sleep Is A Skill Podcast
Get guidance from experts on all things sleep! We’ve got you covered from light, darkness, temperature, sound, meals (type & time), exercise, gadgets, etc.
2. Take our Free Sleep Assessment
Receive personalized feedback on where your sleep is and what it will take to turn it around.
3. Check out the Sleep Is A Skill Sleep Resource Recommendations
Inspired to transform your sleep but aren’t clear what sort of resources will help? These will help.
4. Book a 15 minute Call
We have something for everyone, no matter where you’re at with your sleep. Book a quick call to discuss what the next best steps are for you.
5. Get the Sleep Starter Stack
Oura Ring (no affiliation), Chilipad (Ooler, ideally), use this link and promo codes for a hookup sleepisaskill15 – 15% off OOLER or sleepisaskill25 – 25% off chiliPAD, and a reliable pair of blue blockers like TrueDarks (must be amber or red for the nights).