To give you a visual, you basically do not want your bedtime and wake times habits to look much like this client’s stats:
Ideally, you want them to look a bit more like this 'Even-Steven' client:
Now, this is not a conversation about the specific bedtime or wake-time that you choose (you could be part of the 5 AM Club or a hardcore night owl, does not matter); that’s for another email.
The goal here is to hit your consistent bedtime/wake time targets around +/- 30 minutes, seven days a week.
It is not uncommon for clients to come in wanting a magic cocktail of supplements, gadgets, and tricks to improve their sleep. Before we can touch any of those, we HAVE to begin at the most foundational component. Building the discipline and leadership skills to train our body to fall asleep and wake up at largely the same time consistently for sleep is critical.
I know that this habit is NOT always easy in 2020.
Even when we get thrown off course with our bedtimes, the most crucial change we can make is to maintain a consistent wakeup in the morning, despite how the night went, so that you don’t throw yourself off-course even further.
Here’s an example of a client who recently did a great job with that exact scenerio:
Above, you can see that Sunday night; he went to bed a bit later than usual. However, he still maintained his regularly scheduled wakeup time as not to throw off his circadian rhythm.
No matter if you’re struggling with this or if you’re a seasoned pro curious as to why this is important to maintain, read on for more resources on the topic.
SLEEP CONSISTENCY RESOURCES
Resource: Article, Whoop, Sleep Consistency: Why We Track it and How Do You Compare?
Resource: Article, Cleveland Clinic, Irregular Sleep Habits Linked to Poor Health – Cleveland Clinic Newsroom
Resource: Article, Very Well Health, Better Sleep Starts by Waking Up at the Same Time Daily
Resource: Article, Science News Daily for Students, Surprise! Exam scores benefit from months of regular sleep
Resource: Video, YouTube, Tom Bilyeu These Sleep Experts Explain How to Get the Best Rest | Health Theory
P.S. Fed up with your sleep? Here are five ways I can help you transform your sleep:
1. Subscribe to The Sleep Is A Skill Podcast Get guidance from experts on all things, sleep! We’ve got you covered from light, darkness, temperature, sound, meals (type & time), exercise, gadgets, etc.
2. Take our Free Sleep Assessment Receive personalized feedback on where your sleep is and what it will take to turn it around.
3. Check out the Sleep Is A Skill Sleep Resource Recommendations Inspired to transform your sleep but aren’t clear what sort of resources will help? These will help.
4. Book a 15 minute Call We have something for everyone, no matter where you’re at with your sleep. Book a quick call to discuss what the next best steps are for you.
5. Get the Sleep Starter Stack Oura Ring (no affiliation), Chilipad (Ooler, ideally), use this link and promo codes for a hookup sleepisaskill15 – 15% off OOLER or sleepisaskill25 – 25% off chiliPAD, and a reliable pair of blue blockers like TrueDarks (must be amber or red for the nights).