For those unfamiliar with Dexa Scans, the story goes that they originated as a tool to assess bone density. As time went on, their utility expanded to include insightful readouts around overall health metrics not only encompassing total fat and muscle readings, but also regional readouts like the composition of your left arm versus right arm, for example. A particularly important region of the body that the Dexa Scan breaks down is the type of fat around your waist. This targeted information helps us understand adipose tissue makeup in its ratio of visceral to subcutaneous fat. We know that this can be incredibly insightful for overall health and wellbeing. For those curious in learning more about various body composition tools, you can see a few in this article: Visualizing 10+ Years of My Body Composition Data.
I love measurement systems like this because once we get some specifics about our reality now, we can immediately create a game to influence future results. We made another appointment to go back in 3 months (a.k.a. the end of the year! Where did the year go?!) with a resolve to see measurable improvements in our numbers.
What is a HUGE part of the strategy to improve our stats? SLEEP! :)
Sleep your Way to a Healthier Body Composition
Sleep has a huge effect on how the body functions on a cellular level, and the amount of sleep per night can have a significant effect on body composition. Getting enough high-quality sleep helps control hunger hormones and increases basal metabolic rate, which promotes more calorie burn throughout the day. With a healthy diet and regular physical activity, this can lead to more fat loss over time.
Sleep can increase lean muscle mass due to its role in recovery, specifically rebuilding broken down cells and tissues. The brain releases hormones during sleep that are directly responsible for protein synthesis and muscle growth, including human growth hormone and testosterone.
What You Should Know About How Sleep Affects Body Composition
Check out the resources below to create your own game around sleep and body composition.
DEXA SCAN & HEALTH RESOURCES
Resource: Podcast, HumanOS, How DEXA Can Help You Achieve Your Goals. Podcast with Jason Belvill
Resource: Podcast, DexaFit, Why is Sleep So Important For Weight Loss?
Resource: Article, Midlife Rambler Analyzing Your Body Composition with the Dexa Scan Test: An Honest Review
Resource: Article, Business Insider, Bodyscan: 6,000 Scans Show Fat Mass Index (FMI) Is the True Measure of Body Fat
Resource: Article, Carb Manager, Why Your Scale Doesn't Always Tell the Whole Picture
Resource: Article, Jason Sissel, Body Composition: The DEXA Scan
Resource: Article, John Demma, Well-Being Check: Dexa Scan, Nutrition, Sleep, and Meditation
Resource: Study, NCBI, Effects of chronic sleep deprivation on bone mass and bone metabolism in rats
SLEEP SCHOLARS (Source: YOU all! Reminder: Continue to send what you’re learning/discovering re: sleep and I’ll include it here)
Resource: Article, DailyMail, Could your sleeping position be the key to success?
Resource: Podcast, Neurohacker, HOW TO SLEEP BETTER: NUTRITION, STRESS, AND GENETIC FACTORS
Resource: Article, Oura, Midnight Snack? Not So Fast
Resource: Podcast, Dr. Anthony Gustin, 110: Andy Mant - The Truth and Science Behind Blue Light Blocking Glasses The Natural State with Dr. Anthony Gustin
SLEEP IS A SKILL PODCAST:
️Resource: Podcast Episode, 018: Todd White, CEO of Dry Farms Wines, "The Ultimate Biohackers Wine": Why most traditional wines are high in both sugar & alcohol and stand to wreck your sleep...and what to do about. One of the most effective ways to improve your sleep is to cut alcohol. But what if you want to have the option to indulge from time to time? How do you have it all? Todd White created Dry Farms Wines because he wanted to have a sugar free, low carb, paleo/keto-friendly option that wouldn’t disrupt his sleep in the same way that other wines would do. In this episode, we go deeper into the wine industry, in particular, to understand just how damaging the average wine can be on your sleep and why. Plus, understanding affordable alternatives and apps (like Raisin: The Natural Wine App!) that you can use to locate natural, low sugar alternatives better.
Todd is a self-described biohacker who practices daily meditation, Wim Hof breathing, cold thermogenesis, a ketogenic diet, and daily 22-hour intermittent fasting. He is also a frequent speaker on ketogenic lifestyle, meditation, and the Dry Farm Wines
unique company culture. His entire team gathers each morning for a meditation and gratitude practice. Built on a foundation of honesty and peace, Dry Farm Wines has seen remarkable growth in the last three years, making it one of the fastest-growing private companies in the U.S., without any debt or investors.
Dry Farm Wines is endorsed by many leading U.S. health influencers including Mark Sisson, Dave Asprey, Ben Greenfield, Robb Wolf, Wellness Mama, Dr. Dominic D’Agostino, and Chalene Johnson, to name a few. Dry Farm Wines sources pure Natural Wines and lab tests them to ensure each bottle is sugar-free (0-0.15g per glass), lower in sulfites, and lower in alcohol (under 12.5% alc/vol). The wines are friendly to low carb, Paleo, ketogenic, and low sugar diets.
- In contrast to common belief, wines are mostly not natural. Only less than 1% of the wines produced on the planet are natural.
- The sugar levels in industrially produced wine are higher, but they can hide this fact.
- Alcoholic beverages with high levels of alcohol disrupt sleep.
- You have to shop online to purchase natural wine mainly.
What is inside of commercial wine, and why can’t we find natural wine?
- There are more than 70 additives that are approved by the FDA. These additives include many toxic products within them. European vineyards are allowed to use half the amount compared to the US.
- It's usually tough to find natural wine unless you live in a big city with some retail stores specifically. Online shopping for natural wine is the easiest way to go.
- The alcohol level is not mandatory by federal law to be stated. These are regulations that come from the post probation era since lab tests weren’t very accurate back then. And the wine industry likes to keep things this way.
- Lab-created yeast is used instead of natural yeast. The reason for this is to increase production at scale. Additives have to be used to produce high amounts of wine.
What is natural wine?
- People usually believe that wine is natural, but only ****less than one-tenth of 1% of wines are naturals.
- Of the top 20 best selling wines in the US, only two met the sugar-free and natural wine criteria.
- The use of natural yeast, which is naturally formed on the outside of grapes due to the contact with air. Therefore, natural yeast is a bit harder to get in large quantities, and it works slower.
- Dry Farms - Are farms where no irrigation is used, which hurt the plants and lead to a lower quality product. Dry farms are the real natural way to grow fruits and vegetables. Irrigation is banned in many places in Europe.
- Lab testing to see that there are no additives and to check that the alcohol levels are low.
- “Elevated blood glucose, hyperproduction of insulin are the primary causes of most illnesses.”
- “Sugar is the single most addictive, destructive, and the most widely abused drug on the planet,” Which leads to many health problems. “Alcohol is also very dangerous, so we have to be careful with that as well and work on low alcohol and sugar-free.”
- Combining sugar and alcohol creates a devastating effect. Think about the impact of two Tequila shots during your night out compared to the morning after. It gives a boost of energy due to the amount of sugar.
- 'Clean wines' are not natural wines; they are copycats. When you see companies use clean wine, don’t be fooled by it.
- We don’t allow more than 1 gram sugar per liter, which is technically sugar-free.
Relation with Sleep:
- High alcohol and sugar disrupt sleep since they hype the user, giving them an energy boost. On the other hand, wine with low sugar content makes you sleepy and puts you off to sleep. Heavier alcoholic beverages with high sugar content don't do this due to the energy it gives.
As always, please send me your thoughts on this week’s obsession or your current fascinations.
P.S. Fed up with your sleep? Here are six ways I can help you transform your sleep:
1. Subscribe to The Sleep Is A Skill Podcast
Get guidance from experts on all things sleep! We’ve got you covered from light, darkness, temperature, sound, meals (type & time), exercise, gadgets, etc.
2. Take our Free Sleep Assessment
Receive personalized feedback on where your sleep is and what it will take to turn it around.
3. Check out the Sleep Is A Skill Sleep Resource Recommendations
Inspired to transform your sleep but aren’t clear what sort of resources will help? These will help.
4. Book a 15 minute Call
We have something for everyone, no matter where you’re at with your sleep. Book a quick call to discuss what the next best steps are for you.
5. Get the Sleep Starter Stack
Oura Ring (no affiliation), Chilipad (Ooler, ideally), use this link and promo codes for a hookup
sleepisaskill15 – 15% off OOLER or sleepisaskill25 – 25% off chiliPAD, and a reliable pair of blue blockers like TrueDarks
(must be amber or red for the nights).
6. Join the LevelsHealth x Sleep Is A Skill opportunity if you meet the following criteria:
- You have an Oura Ring
- You live in the USA
- You can commit to tracking your blood sugar for 1 month with a CGM (continuous glucose monitor)
- You’re game to share your sleep & blood sugar data (this way I can examine your blood sugar & sleep data on the LevelsHealth dashboard and the Oura Ring dashboard)
- You are willing to write a quick review of what you learned when tracking with these two pieces of technology
If you meet all of these, they are hooking up our Sleepy Community ;) with the ability to skip the 20,000+ person waitlist and 3-4 month delay and get a month’s worth of CGM at-cost and receive it in 2 weeks with this link - at $191 down from $399. If interested, sign up here and reply to this email and we’ll get you set up on the Oura Ring Sleep Is A Skill dashboard.